Friday, April 20, 2012

Gauva Coconut cupcakes



Oh yum. That's about all I have to say about this easy and delish recipe I have for you today.

I know the cupcake scene came in fast and furious. I've heard it speculated for the last couple of years that cupcakes shops are on their way out. But, as a baker, I can tell you that I still have loads of people interested in these tiny, perfect bite sized treats!

Who doesn't smile when they see a cupcake? They just look so cute!

With summer around the corner, I've been working on some special summer combos for my cake business.
Since my family and I took a trip last summer to do mission work on the islands of Trinidad and Tobago, I've fallen in love with tropical... well... everything!

When I saw this recipe for Guava cake over at Kuki's Kookbook, I knew I had to try it. I mixed it up ever so slightly, and made it into mini cupcakes instead of a sheet cake like in her original recipe, which is here.

Now here's my version:

Guava Cake


Preheat oven to 325.

Cake:
  • 1 package yellow cake mix (Duncan Hines is my favorite)
  • 1 1/3 cup guava juice-(found in my grocery store in the "Mexican food" section)
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 box instant cheesecake pudding
  • red food coloring- add until you get the color you want
Make the cake together for 2 minutes, then scoop into mini cupcake lined pans. Bake at 325 for 11-12 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. While those bake make the filling.


Guava Filling:
  • 2 cups guava juice
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup corn starch
  • a few TBSP COLD water
  • red food coloring
  • Pinch of salt
In a medium saucepan, bring guava juice and sugar to a boil. In the meantime, make a paste out of the cornstarch and the small amount of cold water. It's going to resemble cement Keep mixing adding water a drop at a time until it resembles runny elmer's glue. Remove guava juice mixture from heat and whisk in cornstarch paste. return to heat and bring back to a boil. boil for one minute stirring frequently. Cool in the fridge, or if in a hurry, in the freezer. Once cooled, stir in red food coloring until gel is the color you desire. 

Icing:
2 Pkg. Cream Cheese, soft
2/3 C white sugar
3 TBSP.coconut milk (the canned kind! Use the thick, part that is usually on the top after you open it)
1 tsp. Vanilla
2 TBSP, salted butter, soft


Mix all ingredients together until light and fluffy.

Toast 1 C. coconut by spreading sweetened coconut out on a cookie sheet. Bake at 350 and check every 5 minutes to stir until most of it is brown. Make sure to cool it before dipping your baby cupcakes!

By now, you've baked lots of minis. After they are cool, use a Boba tea straw (they're perfect for cutting holes in mini's!) Or anything small that you could punch a hole with. Fill the hole with some of the filling, then smear just a tiny bit on top of each cupcake. Put your icing in a piping bag (or a ziplock with the corner cut out) and ice them.

After they are iced, turn them over and "dip" them into the toasted coconut.

Even my husband, who hates guava, loved these. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment