Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Baked Oatmeal


Yum, yum, yum. That's what your family and guests will be saying when you serve them this uber good morning treat!

I've been making this recipe for years. It's my go-to when we have company. It's my go-to when my kids are tired of eating cold cereal every single day. It's quick. It's easy. And it's oh, so delicious!

I've never made it for a guest who didn't ask for the recipe, and there are so many ways it can be made it's easy to change it up for a different taste every time. It's also great when made the night before (not cooked) and refrigerated until morning. Just let it sit out for about 10 minutes before popping it into the warmed up oven.

I think I've had this for about 10 years, and I believe it has roots in the Amish. It's sort of like a healthy, custard-y oatmeal cake, and depending on your family size, it can feed you for a few days. Confession: I'm starting to feel sad every time I make this breakfast. As I stated a minute ago, I've been making this for years, and it used to last for days. It's easy to re-heat, but my kids even like it cold! But how can oatmeal, (esp. and oatmeal like cake thing) make you sad you may be asking? These days, one batch is gone in s single few minutes out of the oven. It's another sign that my kids are growing older, getting more independent, and needing this mama a little less. And that my friends, makes me so sad. What will I do when none is home to bake this for?!

SNAP! Ok, I'm back to reality. Although gone are the days of single recipe cooking, here and now, I have to make a double recipe if I want leftovers, and I'll enjoy that while I still can!

Behold my friends, the Baked Oatmeal.

BAKED OATMEAL

1/2 C canola oil
1/2 C applesauce
1 C sugar (or less. I adjust. If using berries I use about 1 cup. If using apples I use 1/2 C.)
4 eggs
4 C oatmeal
4 tsp. baking powder
2 C milk
1 tsp. cinnamon
dash nutmeg

Any kind of fruit you'd like. My family's favorite is apple. I dice unpeeled apples (2) and add it in. 
I also like to use a bag of frozen berries. (yup! Just toss in the whole bag of frozen berries!) Whatever suits your fancy. Here are some suggestions to get your mind rolling:

Apples/cinnamon (when doing this I also sprinkle the entire top of it with a generous amount of cinnamon so that the whole top looks brown)
Bananas/walnuts
Apples/raisins
Berries/almonds
Peaches/pecans

Heat oven to 375 F.
Measure out your oatmeal into a large bowl. Add the baking powder,sugar and spices.
Mix the dry stuff, then add the eggs, the oil and applesauce and lastly the milk. Then add your mix-in's of fruit and nuts. Mix well with a spoon or spatula.
Pour into a well greased 9X13 baking dish. Smooth out. At this point, wither bake it or cover it and put it in the fridge for morning.

Bake for 40-50 minutes until edges are brown and middle comes out clean.

Cut into squares and serve with a pat of butter and a small amount of milk. Enjoy! And get ready to share the recipe as everyone you know will want it!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment