Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Broccoli baguette pizza



Hi again! I'm getting a little behind in this whole blogging thing- not that I am surprised. It seems that sometimes I like to pretend that I'm superwoman, whilst forgetting that I am, in fact, not. Ha!
Then I get behind in pretty much everything. Like right now.
We've been home from spring break for over a week and I just now put the last load of laundry in from that- am I pathetic or what?!

This recipe today is one that I've been making for my family for years. It's unbelievable how the flavors meld together to create something unexpected yet delicious. I think I started making it when we went on a vegan kick many years ago. It didn't last long. I discovered I really have a hankering for meat and cheese  :) This isn't really pizza if you only count pizza as toppings on a rolled out crust. But here in our home, I've found that if I call anything pizza, I entice the kids to try it at least!

My family really loves it and the kids have been begging me to make it for them. You should have heard the squeals of excitement flowing from my kitchen after I told one of them. It traveled down the line of kids in a domino affect, and I had 4 giggling, crazy kids helping me before I knew it. Over broccoli. Someone pinch me!

You won't need much time for this recipe. I like to keep most of these things stocked in my pantry anyway.

Broccoli Baguette Pizza


1 baguette split down the middle from top to bottom
2 cloves garlic- crushed
Olive oil
Kalmata Olives- diced (be careful, these have pits! I use a cherry pitter to de-pit them or you can buy them already sliced- which is obviously the better route here.) You find these in jars in the olive section!
1 1/2 small onion- sliced very, very thin.
1 tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp dried rosemary (try fresh in the summer- just add more!)
1 1/2 bunches of fresh broccoli crowns. Washed and cut small

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. 


Place baguette on a cookie sheet and brush with olive oil. Sprinkle with crushed garlic- 1 clove for each half. (I use the back of a large spoon to spread it around more evenly)

In non-stick skillet, combine 1 tbsp olive oil, all the onions, and the rosemary.. Cook a few minutes on high, then reduce heat- but still keep it towards the hottest setting. Add sugar to the onions and stir frequently until they start to caramelize. 


Remove them from the heat once they are brown and caramelized. Put in a separate dish as you still need your skillet! 


Add broccoli to your skillet. No need to wash it out, and you shouldn't need any more oil either. Cook on high heat for a few minutes. Put a dash of salt and pepper on them. and then add about 1/4 C water. It will help "steam your stems" :)



Cook for a few minutes more, just until you see your greens getting greener- don't overcook! When they turn bright green remove them from the heat!

Now assemble your goods. 


Sprinkle olives evenly down the bread. You want the pretty thin, but you also want the bread mostly covered.
 Next do the same with your onions. Sprinkle them evenly as well.

 Last, add the broccoli, in the same manner. Don't worry if some falls off. You can put it back on later.
I like to pour a tiny amount of olive oil over the top before cooking.



Bake for 10-12 minutes.


Usually I make this as our main dish. However, I have also made it as an appetizer for company, and it's always a hit. I do recommend slicing the bread into 5 pieces before assembling if you plan to use it as an appetizer. It's just easier to cut before it's put together!




No comments:

Post a Comment