Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Yummy Chicken Salsa Salad



I've been working hard at staying healthy lately. I'm not going to lie, it's been mostly for vanity reasons. Our recent spring break trip to the sunny state of Florida, was a huge motivator.  My goal was simple: feel better than last year.

I have a confession.I'm not a big breakfast person. I drink green tea or coffee every morning, and consider that my meal. Not very healthy I know. It usually means that by lunch time, my blood sugar has dropped and my hyperglycemia self starts to get crazy and then I grab the nearest carb loaded quick junk food I can find to show down on.

Not the best thing to do when you're working on looking good for a trip!

Enter: The chicken salad. It's quick, it's super easy, and it's loaded with great things for your body.  I could seriously eat this every meal and be satisfied. (Which is saying something since I get bored with food easily!)

I got this recipe from a friend who made it for me for lunch one day. After tasting it, I knew I had to have it, and I've done well to pass it on the same way when I invite girlfriends over for lunch dates.I'm forever indebted to my friend for passing on such an amazing meal :)

I usually serve it over a bed of lettuce, but to make it more fun for the kids, this time I put it on lettuce leaves, for them to roll and eat themselves. I won't lie: it was a messy meal. But they had fun, and they clean up pretty well with water.

Chicken Salsa Salad

2/3 C Salsa (any brand- but if you use a "fresh" variety make sure to drain some of the liquid!)
1/2 C fat free Mayo (I actually use something called Veginase that I get from the health food store, it's like Mayo but made out of grape seed oil!)

1 C. halved grapes (I use red)

1 C celery, chopped
1 lb chicken, shredded. I usually use a rotisserie
Salt/pepper


Slivered almonds for topping
Salad or lettuce leaves


Combine all ingredients except the salad and almonds. Mix well and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Serve over lettuce and sprinkle with almond slices.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment