Monday, March 26, 2012

Easy Peasy Banana Breakfast roll-ups!



Happy Monday!

The sun is shining, the weather is getting warmer, and I can see daffodils and hyacinths blooming in my yard... it's going to be a good day!

I know most people hate Mondays, and you may want to stone me for saying this, but I LOVE them! Monday is the day I get to recoup from long busy (and loud!) weekends. I love having my family home, but lets face it, they destroy all my hard work in 2 single days at home.

Mondays are the day I get to re-take my territory. The kids are back to school, and the hubby is back to laboring hard to provide for us. Monday is the day I get to blast my music as loud as I want, throw on my wrinkled clothes with tiny bleach stains all over them, throw my hair into a quick pony, and reclaim the land once known as "Clean as a Whistle!".

Lest you think my Mondays are prefect let me share they are not. It's also the day the kids don't want to get up on time, we remember that we didn't get that project or paper done- that we had all weekend to finish- and the day I have to peel my eyes open at the crack of dawn after getting two whole days to sleep in (until 7). It's the day I wake up and realize I forgot to get to the store, so we are out of all things important. You know, eggs, milk, cereal, oatmeal, bread. Wait!! What are we going to eat??!

This recipe is easy and healthy and can help make any Monday madness turn into Monday gladness. It takes only  a few ingredients so when the pantry is empty, this is a good go to.

I usually keep a bag of frozen over ripe bananas in my freezer. I pull out a few, zap them in the microwave for a couple of minutes, and viola'! (I've also used just ripe bananas and they were still good.)Ready for a unique and healthy meal that hopefully your kids will love as much as mine do. (Note: I have a banana hater in my family and she still gobbles these things up!)

-Now, when you make these for the first time, you may want to NOT make them when you are in a  rush. They can be tricky to get the hang of the first time since the dough is very, very sticky. You'll want to make sure you have about 30 minutes to spend making them the first time.

-You'll also want to make sure that you have a nonstick skillet. These will stick, they are sticky!! Don't say you weren't warned about stickiness.

The Original recipe can be found here at Love Food Eat.

Banana Breakfast Roll ups

2 C. Whole wheat flour (If your family isn't used to whole wheat you can use 1 C white and 1 C wheat or all white)
1 C. Mashed bananas
1 Tbsp. sugar (I use raw in this particular recipe)
2 Tbsp. Canola oil 
Extra flour to roll
Extra oil for cooking

Honey and Butter for serving.

Measure flour into large bowl. Add bananas. (In this photo I added whole, just ripe bananas directly to the flour and mashed them into the flour using a potato masher!) But the proper way is to mash them first.
Add oil and mix well with a spoon or spatula. It's going to be sticky remember?!

Section dough in the bowl the same way you would hamburger meat. (using the side of your hand "cut" the dough the way you would a pizza. so all pieces are even.)

Pour 1/2 C or so of flour onto the counter top, and roll out on section of dough into a circle. You want it thin.  about 1/4" thin or so. Make sure to gently sprinkle flour on each piece as you roll so your rolling pin doesn't stick!



                (This my friends, is my super duper PVC pipe rolling pin- cheap and they work so well!)

Make sure you have a few rolled out and your pan is pretty  hot. Add a little oil to pan and then cook each flat bread until just brown on each side.


Once they are done, put a little butter and honey inside, roll up and enjoy the squeals from your happy children! (sorry I forgot to take a photo before my kids snarfed down all the rolled ones.)

 





 



No comments:

Post a Comment